Tuesday, June 12, 2012

WEEK 2: DOM who?

Straight to the point tonight. If you haven't already met him/them then I'm willing to introduce you - although I understand if you are feeling a little reluctant. You may have heard the name mentioned before, I know I have. DOMS this, how's everyone coping with DOMS that... Who or what the heck are DOMS????? 
Welllll, I'm laying in bed with DOMS right now. But unfortunately for me,  ol' mate Wiki will tell us that DOMS is the acronym for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
You see yesterday I was lucky enough to have an old friend of mine, who works at my gym, give me a complimentary personal training session. I was sooo excited. A little nervous after my big 10km run on Sunday, but nevertheless looking forward to it. I'm feeling pretty fit at the moment so I thought I would be fine. The exercises Loz (that's her name) took me through were great. I told her what my goals were - to be able to do pull ups, have nice arms and loose my thunder thighs. Well she worked those bits that's for sure. WOW what a workout. Although throughout the session I felt great, she did tell me to expect some soreness for the following couple of days. I remember distinctly thinking "I'll be right. I'll stretch and drink plenty of water".  Ah-hem. I AM SO FREAKING SORE!!!!  I tried running tonight - before the soreness really kicked in - probably not a good idea, but I was determined to do some 'last chance training' before tomorrows weigh in. I struggled after about 10mins - and it was purely leg pain. I dropped back by running 3 mins and walking 2 until I managed to burn 450cal. Now I am exhausto and in bed. I'm probably going to have to read up a bit more on this DOMS stuff but not tonight. No energy.
I'm determined to keep exercising so I plan on braving this cold weather Melbourne has been having and hit Fitzroy pool in the morning. I have heard swimming is good for sore muscles, so here's hoping!

On a lighter note, I got my first copy of my subscription to Runners Mag today. Probably perfect timing too. I find it really inspiring to read and it's full of heaps of interesting facts and stories. When my eyes can stay open I'll sit down and read those details!

Anywho, I'll check in again after weigh in tomorrow. LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment